by Lisa Wilbourne
Titled Lock on the Tar River, the marker was funded by Friends of Greenville Greenways (FROGGS), and is located just west of the city’s off-leash dog area. It condenses ECU professor emeritus Vincent Bellis’ research prompted by a conversation with local historian Roger Kammerer, who informed Bellis that a wooden structure he remembered in the river near Warren Street in the 1970s was part of an effort over a century and half ago to allow river traffic farther along the river. His research is fully detailed in Regional Transportation in Eastern NC, A Historical Look, published last month in the Greenville Guardian.
FROGGS plans to install more educational markers along the greenway. People interested in contributing research or sponsoring a sign — each marker costs about $1800 — should email FROGGS for more information.
The Greenville Guardian encourages reader participation. In an effort to promote and maintain civility, thoughtful discussion, and the useful exchange of ideas, we require a full name (first and last) and valid email address be ascribed to each comment. Email addresses will not be published.